Freelance Jobs

Monday, August 22, 2011

Things My Mama Told Me: Choose your Friends!

Sometimes, just how mothers talk to us, right? With an exclamation point. There is one point in our life when our mothers would usually yell at us, no matter what they’re saying.


Anyway, there you go. Choose your friends. And I hated this before because my mother never really liked any of my friends. She only liked those who were at the top of the class. If they weren’t she’d be skeptical about them and how were they going to contribute to my life.

Yes, I didn’t listen to my mom. Although those kids who were at the top of my class were my buddies when we started, slowly I was left behind. Maybe it was a bit of rebellion that I experienced when I didn’t want to study so hard and just be a normal kid like everybody else – playing and not breathing to get the grades. While I still belonged at the top of the class, I chose to be friends with someone else.

Now that I’m older, I look at those people who topped the class and I didn’t choose to be friends with. They are now lawyers, entrepreneurs, engineers and traveled the world. And I’m stuck in a cubicle, thinking about the next gig I could find.

Looking at them, I thought, I should have stuck with them. I probably got their successful vibe and their thirst for excellence. Or their mere electromagnetism for luck. I am smarter than some of their friends but even they have good lives.

Most people will probably tell you – choose your friends to avoid drugs, chemical abuse or other bad influences. We hear them over and over and sometimes we don’t hear them anymore.

But I’m writing now, telling you to choose your friends because good friends can actually do some good in your life. If you want something to happen to your life, stick with people who have the same goal as you do. It’s good to have peers who you can walk with in that direction. They can be good support and they can also be some healthy competition along the way.

Right now, I’m looking for people who I can begin walking with to the direction that I want and people who can hoist me up somehow. I am no genius and I’d love to listen to friendly mentors.

Tips in Summary: Choose your Friend to Success!

  1. Choose your friends according to the direction you want your life to go to. You want to be successful? Have successful friends or friends who also want to be successful.
  2. Choose your friends early in life. Friends are also habit-forming. If you form your good habits early on, you have more time to develop and improve.
  3. Choose your friends for networking and healthy competition. Successful friends know successful people who can lead you to your own success. Yes, there’s too much success in this section because if you surround yourself with success, your attitude will be geared towards it!

How did you do with your friends? Share your story!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More