Freelance Jobs

Thursday, May 19, 2011

How to Become a Math-Genius: How are the Chinese Good at Math

Many are wondering, is there a secret pill that I need to take to become an instant math-genius - even just for the day of our final exam?! I know… I wished one for myself when I was a student especially in my Trigonometry finals in high school. That was the only time in my life when I absolutely had no idea on an exam. I wished for some kind of math magic to be bestowed upon me even for just 20 minutes.

I’ve mentioned in my previous post that we should not fall into the trap of thinking that we must have a math-genius gene or divine-given talent to become good at Math. Some thinks a person needs to be Chinese! But let me tell you a secret that I’ve learned from several Chinese people on how to be a math-genius.

Lesson from the Chinese


We wonder… why is the Chinese good at Math? They invented one of the oldest calculation devices called the abacus so they really must be crazy about numbers. So many times have I heard that when someone is Chinese, people immediately think that he/she is good at Math. What is the Chinese secret to becoming Math pros?

Here is an answer that you will find on the web when you Google the question: It is because of the language.


Here is a helpful table to demonstrate the difference between English and Chinese counting systems

English
Chinese
English
Chinese
eleven
ten one
thirty
three ten
twelve
ten two
forty
four ten
thirteen
ten three
fifty
five ten
fourteen
ten four
sixty
six ten
fifteen
ten five
seventy
seven ten
sixteen
ten six
eighty
eight ten
seventeen
ten seven
ninety
nine ten
eighteen
ten eight
one hundred
one hundred
nineteen
ten nine


twenty
two ten



If you will notice, the Chinese counting system makes more sense such as -in my opinion - it sets the foundation of basic addition and multiplication. They learn how to add and multiply the moment they learn how to count.

ten one
10 + 1
eleven (11)
three ten
3 x 10
thirty (30)

Looks like genius, doesn’t it?

HOWEVER

This is not really the secret of the Chinese to becoming Math pros. Come on; let’s not blame a thousand-year old system!

I have talked to several Chinese people in my life. Not all of them were raised in China but certainly grew up in Chinese rearing by their parents. It took a long time before someone shed a bright light on “the secret”.

We learn Math by logic. Everything is about logic and common sense

And it all just came flooding to me like someone opened the roof to let sunshine in my dark, windowless room. My mom, who is an accountant, kept telling me since kindergarten, “Focus on understanding the logic behind the problem rather than just memorizing!”

That is why we all started learning Math with images and stories than pure numbers. One plus one is not just 1 + 1. It’s “You have one apple and a friend gave you another one.” That is why we always have problem solving questions in exams - and admit it, that part could be the most difficult part. It’s when you know how to answer the other questions because you memorized the formula but your mind gets all tangled when you see the problem in a paragraph. Understand, not just memorize. Logic.

Problem Understanding + Formula/ Solving Techniques = Right Answer

If you understand the problem, then finding the right solution is much easier. Understanding, I believe, is something that all of us possess.


note: for those who were waiting - no, there is no magic pill  ^_^


And isn’t that the same for all life’s problems? Everything has a solution. If you cannot solve the problem, it means that there is still something left to be understood. If you cannot solve the problem, maybe it means that there is another solution; maybe the formula is not right. Let’s think some more.

1 comments:

I have fear when I take math test, or anxiety. My mother would pop my leg whenever I would get a times table problem wrong. I think that made me dislike math. I have always believed that I disliked math. I have never done very well at math. but I am willing to overcome this so I can conquer this weakness. I feel that this is keeping me from excelling academically.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More