Freelance Jobs

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Next Part of Resume Writing that Had Me Scratching my Head.

Because I was just getting out of college, I didn’t have any work experience to write. Instead, I had to include my extra-curricular activities and/or seminars attended. And boy, I heard the crickets.

I didn’t have any significant extra-curricular activity. The one org I joined in college was good enough but I must admit that I never became an active member (excuse: conflicting class schedules). I scrambled through my records for any sign of certificate from seminars I have attended. I called my classmates to refresh my mind and add to the list. Truth is, I also didn’t really pay attention to any seminar in school. I only did attend because we were required.

Lucky me because when I was applying for a job, the working industry was still not as competitive as it is today. However, times have changed. Having worked in the job recruitment industry, I have seen so many job ads that require a certain degree of job experience. With that, so many fresh graduates are complaining that they can’t get any job experience because everybody wants someone with previous work.

I agree that this is a disadvantage to many who didn’t have the opportunity to work as interns before graduation. But I cannot disagree with employers who also want to hire good people, save efforts in training and move company sales fast. Here are a few tips from me:




  • Get active in extra-curricular activities. Clubs and organizations open you more to possibilities, networking and other activities outside the classroom. Some organizations are nationwide and they organize major events that can just open your experiences to anything.

  • Do volunteer for apprenticeship. People say that nothing is free nowadays but don’t be afraid to do volunteer jobs related to your preferred career. Volunteer as server, waiter, be an assistant to anyone you know in the industry. For sure, many will not turn down free assistance. While under apprenticeship, be highly trainable and observant for out-of-school lessons that you can pick up. Do not be shy to ask for advice and future referrals.

  • Get online and home-based jobs. It a new era now. People can get online jobs especially those that are related to IT, programming, software development and you can get a ton of jobs related to SEO, link building and online content writing. If you are interested in these areas, browse the web for online jobs portal like Odesk.com. I have heard so much about them and had a few friends who became quite a success in this.

  • Get your thing off your seats and actually do something! It’s probably one of my biggest mistakes at one point or another.


"As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do."
- Zachary Scott

2 comments:

got good information.
Thanks for share.
Teacher Resume

Thanks for this nice information.

Resume Search

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More