Freelance Jobs

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Plunging into a Job of My Weakness

I was never good in oral communication skills. I palpitated and broke into cold sweat whenever I had to stand for less than 10 second to recite in class. So I didn’t like class recitation and oral exams. I always whispered the answer to my seatmate and he/she got to answer the teacher’s question.

I didn’t like small talk. I didn’t like speaking in front of a crowd. English is my second language and while my school tried to make us practice speaking the language in elementary by establishing English Speaking Zones, I tried my best to avoid them altogether. I didn’t realize that communication skills would be one of the most important skills that I need to learn no matter what career I want to pursue. Even when my career completely changed when I looked liked a complete idiot during that very simple interview to a BS Computer Science course, I denied to myself the fact that I needed to be more aggressive and enhance my oral skills.

I only understood the importance of communications skills when I started looking for a job in senior year. Every one of the job ads required an excellent degree in oral and written communications skills. I realized that I cannot avoid job interviews and I cannot repeat the embarrassing performance I had before college.


I took a job that required a high level of English communication skill.

I took an online teaching job that teaches English to ESL learners. It is a teaching job that requires the teacher to be really fluent and vibrant. It is teaching through phone so facial expressions and hand gestures won’t do well in explaining something without words. Dead air is an absolute no-no so we had to keep talking and asking relevant questions.

I took a job that targeted one of my weakest points. What was I thinking then? I thought to pressure push myself into improving that skill because if I didn’t, I feared that I would not get hired in bigger companies or move up the career ladder. I would always have that big flaw, whispering in my head, “You cannot do it!” and if I went on unarmed, I would be drowned in that fear.

I did improve a lot in my oral communications skills. Since then, I became less and less afraid of going to job interviews. I gained for confidence in talking to other people even though they are my seniors.

Do not go to battle unarmed. If you have a weak point, strengthen it. Improve it. Excel in it. Then there will be one less thing that you are afraid of on your way to pursuing your dreams.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More