Freelance Jobs

Monday, May 30, 2011

A Killer Tip to Get the Job You Want

I was watching How I Met Your Mother Season 4 Episode 14 (spoilers ahead) and it's mostly about Robin trying to get a job in 7 days or she will be deported out of the country. Robin had been jobless for months during that episode and she had already been to countless auditions to get a job in the news industry.

Every time she auditions, she comes home complaining about how other auditionees got more experience than her or how they come from bigger companies or higher positions in other parts of the country. Even though she was anchor at the local news channel, she found that she couldn’t compete with many others in the same field.

Lesson # 1: There’s always someone better than you. So don’t slack!

Even when you come from the Top 3 universities in the country, even if you’re president of every organization you’ve joined or even if you’re the creamiest of the crop, never ever slack off during job hunting. Don’t underestimate the power of others to be more awesome than you already are. Which brings us to:

Lesson # 2: Stand Out!

Or in Barney’s vocabulary, BE AWESOME! Don’t just be good or excellent, be awesome! You see, I’ve been an A student ever since. I got good grades and all but here’s the thing: nobody really noticed me! My teachers hardly remembered my name; and to be honest, even if I honestly knew that I was at par with the best in the batch, I wasn’t as memorable as them. And simply because… I wasn’t awesome! I didn’t join clubs or became friends with the awesome people. I didn’t like greeting my teachers or spending time with other students in my batch. I didn’t like to get the ball rolling, I watched on the sides, watching the ball roll. Yeah, I was lame. So now you know, don’t be like me - BE AWESOME!

So how exactly does one stand out in the job hunting while hundreds apply for the same job?

Killer Tip: Think out of the Box

While Robin was clearly in deep trouble in job hunting, her friends decided to review her video reel to look for something there that is not making employers hire her. It was a normal reel, started out with her name and a clip from her first reporter job. After they decided it was a bit lame, the ever awesome Barney showed his own video resume:



Of course none of that happened but you get the point: it’s way different and definitely eye-catching than hundreds more video resume put together.

Here’s another video of someone thinking out of the box to get a job in one of the biggest companies in New York:



You can go with the usual stand-out tips like being confident or investing in your soft-skills or a power suit and they’re not at all wrong! I once took a job away because of confidence even though the manager was doubtful of my skills. But thinking out of the box to stand out will definitely get employers to look your way and remember your name.

What is your Think-Out-of-the-Box Plan to Get a Job?

1 comments:

Hey never got a tips like that .Any ways thanks for sharing it with us.

clerical jobs

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More